VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE
Light, fluffy and full of flavour, get ready to wow your friends with this mind-blowing concoction!
VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE HEAVEN
I LOVE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE. Add some orange into the mix and I am your girl. I stumbled across this recipe during some instagram scrolling and decided to create my own original version, since I had some Aquafaba sitting in the fridge after making our previously posted healthy cookie dough recipe.
WTF IS AQUAFABA?
For such an extravagant name it is literally just the water that your pour out of a can of chickpeas… This starchy and yellowish liquid foams up just like egg whites, and is the common alternative used to make vegan meringues, and to create fluffy flour free cakes.
For all you chocolate orange lovers out there (I got you) it makes a simple addition to the recipe, but can also be subbed in for any of your favourite flavour combos. Just make sure you don’t add too much, and you fold super gently to maintain the cloud-like goodness.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE (WITH OPTIONAL ORANGE)
- Aquafaba drained from 1 can of Chickpeas
- 100g of Dark Chocolate – good quality if possible
- 1/2 an orange juiced (optional)
- Splash of Oat Milk
- Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 of Lemon/Lime squeezed
- Melt the chocolate bain-marie style using a heatproof bowl on top of a saucepan of boiling water. Make sure it is only gently boiling so that the Chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Add Oat milk to the Chocolate as it’s melting to ensure it doesn’t overheat and to help it melt slower. It also makes the liquid chocolate very smooth and glossy.
- When it is completely smooth and melted add the orange juice (and zest if you’re feeling anti-waste and fancy) and mix until combined.
- Whilst this cools, pour Aquafaba into a bowl with the squeeze of Lemon/Lime (this helps to foam the Aquafaba faster). You should also make sure there is no trace of oil in the bowl that you use, as apparently it is detrimental to creating those stiff peaks we are looking for.
- Either using a hand whisk (you crazy) electric whisk or stand mixer – whisk until it forms stiff peaks. To test, move the bowl from side to side and ensure the foam doesn’t slide around.
- Check that the melted Chocolate has cooled down – otherwise it will disolve our foamy creation, then pour in and fold gently until combined.
- Pour into pots and make it pretty with some orange slices and allow to set in the fridge for a couple of hours before enhaling.